It is no longer news to anyone, that the food has a very important role in our health to prevent health problems, such as on the other hand, we can through an unbalanced diet contribute to the emergence of diseases. Among the diseases can be prevented / caused by food, vardiovascular diseases are the ones that stand. These diseases are aggravated when people repeatedly make mistakes, such as excessive intake of salt, saturated fats, alcohol and refined sugars.
One of the main nutritional recommendations is the reduction of cholesterol intake, so it doesn’t overtake more than 300mg per day. We have two types of cholesterol, HDL cholesterol (“good” cholesterol) and LDL (“bad” cholesterol) that accumulates on the walls of our arteries. Whether excess LDL cholesterol and the lack of HDL cholesterol increase the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
Cholesterol is present in all animal foods, in different amounts. We have more cholesterol-rich meats, red meats (beef, pork, kids, sausages) and then we have white meat, which have less cholesterol, where we find the rabbit meat.
The rabbit meat is low in fat and cholesterol, a nutritional most-value when it’s compared with pork or beef meat * (see table below).
This type of meat is recommended in place of red meat for those who want to reduce their cholesterol intake.
As you can see, we don’t need to abdicate of the pleasures of the flesh to have good health.
|Meat Type||Cholesterol (mg/100gr)|
|Raw Pork (ribs)||74|
|* Food Composition Table – National Health Institute Dr. Ricardo Jorge.|
Rabbit with Beans:
- 1 Rabbit
- 3 Spoons of Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Medium Onions
- Salt and Pepper q.b.
- 1 Bottle of Red Wine
- 3 Smashed Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Laurel Leaf
- Rosemary / Thyme and Parsley q.b.
- Cut the rabbit and leave it to marinate during 24 hours.
- Add the onion and smashed Garlic with the Olive Oil
- Add the drained rabbit pieces and let it brown over high heat. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Join some of the marinade and let it cook on low heat.
- When the rabbit is cooked, remove the meat pieces and add the previouly cooked white beans and carrot slices.
- Let everything merge for a bit and it should be ready to serve.