The current trend is to have a greater concern about food, health and weight maintenance. Nowadays, there are several discussions on various topics related to nutrition but they often fall into exaggeration to eliminate from the daily diet, some pleasures, among them, enjoying a nice barbecue or a tender and juicy meat meal.
The meat is not as naughty as you think. Eating it in moderation and choosing the most healthy type, meat provides essential nutrients to the human body.
The white meat generally has the least amount of saturated fat and cholesterol, so it is promoted in relation to their consumption of red meat.
Among them are the more obvious, such as turkey or chicken, but let us not forget that rabbit meat is also in this category.
It is important to choose a piece with less fat, but do not need to eat and cook so taste-less. The flavor and pleasing texture combined with nutritional qualities that we can find in rabbit meat. This shows, as mentioned, low values of saturated fats (which contributes to increased blood cholesterol) and are a good source of essential minerals to the body (iron, magnesium and potassium).
Despite the list of benefits, we must be aware that enough grilled meat offer a greater risk of developing stomach cancer. This happens due to a harmful substance that forms on the crunchy and dark part, called heterocyclic amine.
The portions must be balanced and alternated with other meats and fish. A dose of 100 to 120g is the ideal amount for those who want to keep the body fit and healthy.
Rabbit with Cherries:
- 1 rabbit
- 600gr of pitted cherries
- 1,5 dl Porto Wine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 30gr of butter
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 sprig of thyme
- Salt and Pepper
- Cut the rabbit into pieces and place it in a bowl, season with salt, pepper, thyme, port wine and chopped onion. Marinate for 2 hours.
- After this time, wipe the pieces of meat and let them drain. Pass through strainer and reserve marinade liquid.
- Bring to boiling pan with oil and butter, pour the meat in and let it brown. Add 2 tablespoons of water and cover it, letting it cook over at low heat for about 40 minutes
- Then remove the meat and set aside, warm. Pour the cherries in the sauce pan, add the liquid from the marinade, and allow it to cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve the rabbit with cherries and decorated to taste.